Zaporozhye State Medical University is a self-governing (autonomous) state higher educational institution of the IV (the top) level of accreditation. Its history comes back to the Higher Women Courses organized in Odessa in 1903. In 1921 the Courses were reorganized into the Chemical-Pharmaceutical Institute. In 1935 it was reformed in the State Pharmaceutical Institute. In 1941 the life of the Institute was interrupted by the Great Patriotic war up to 1944.
In 1959 the Pharmaceutical Institute was transferred from Odessa to Zaporozhye and in 1964 the Medical faculty was opened.
In 1968 Zaporozhye Pharmaceutical Institute was renamed into Zaporozhye medical institute. In 1994 it got the status of Zaporozhye State Medical University. Now it is one of the leading Medical Universities of Ukraine. It has become a training center for medical and pharmaceutical specialists for Ukraine and for foreign countries. More than 30.000 specialists have graduated from ZSMU since then.
Zaporozhye State Medical University is situated in the historical center of Zaporozhye COSSAACS, the city of Zaporozhye, in the south of Ukraine. The population of Zaporozhye is about 1 million people.
Zaporozhye region is in the maritime – steppe zone: summer is hot (the average temperature is +20, 70- +23.60, winter is mild (the average temperature is – 20).
Zaporozhye is a large industrial, scientific and cultural center. It has 8 higher educational institutions and many colleges. It is a center of metallurgical industry, aircraft engines production and instrument-making industry. There are all necessary facilities for comfortable life of students in Zaporozhye.
- well-developed network of cheap transport (bus, trolleybus, tram; the fare is 0,2 USD);
- taxi (municipal and private);
- one can get to any city or town in Ukraine or Russia from the railway station;
- international flights are made from Zaporozhye airport;
- the consumer goods basket is not expensive (you can have a full set of food for 150 USD a month
- The total area of the University is 11,7 hectares
- The area of lecture halls is 78492 sq. m
- The average area of auditoriums per student is 26,6 sq. m
- The total area of the library is 2405 sq. m
- The number of books in the library is 805448 copies
The system of training at Zaporozhye State Medical University includes the premedical, medical and post-diploma periods of training. The premedical education is provided at the Preparatory faculty for foreign citizens, which is the oldest one in the countries of CIS. It is a center of foreign students’ training for further studies in other higher educational institutions of Ukraine.
The training of foreign students and their specialization is carried out at two faculties: Medical and Pharmaceutical.
At the medical faculty the training is provided in the following specialties, Medium of Instruction in ENGLISH :
- General Medicine . Qualification: Physician. Training term – 6 years.
- Pediatrics. Qualification: Physician. Training term – 6 years.
- Laboratory diagnostics . Qualification: Laboratory assistant – bachelor. Training term – 4 years.
- Nursing . Qualification: Medical nurse – bachelor. Training term – 4 years.
At the Pharmaceutical faculty students are trained in the specialties, Medium of Instruction in ENGLISH
- Pharmacy . Qualification: Pharmacist. Training term –5 years.
- Technology of perfume – cosmetic remedies. Qualification: Pharmacist – cosmetologist. Training term – 5 years.
POST GRADUATE EDUCATION
Post-diploma/ Post Graduate education includes the training in the internship, training for Master’s degree, clinical studies, specialized post-graduate courses in 29 medical specialties and refresher courses for doctors and pharmacists.
Structure : 5 medical specialities (Obstetrics and Gynecology; Anesthesiology and Intensive Therapy; Internal Diseases; General Practice is Domestic Medicine; Child’s Surgery; Infectious Diseases; Neurology; Orthopedics and Traumatology; Otolaryngology; Tatanatomy; Psychiatry; Pediatrics; Pulmonology and Phthisiology; Forensic Medicine Examination; Surgery) + General Pharmacy. Medium of Instruction in ENGLISH :
Teaching is conducted on 29 departments :
- Pathological Anatomy and Judicial Medicine with bases right;
- Phthisiology and Pulmonology;
- General and Operative Surgery with a Topographical Anatomy, and care of patients;
- Anesthesiology, Reanymatology and Intensive Therapy;
- Faculty Therapy and Oncology;
- Hospital Surgery;
- Urology with the course of Radio-Therapy;
- Traumatology, Orthopedics and Neurosurgery;
- Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine;
- Hospital Pediatrics and Child’s Infectious Diseases;
- Nervous Diseases, Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology;
- Dermo-Venerial Diseases;
- Infectious Diseases;
- Ophthalmology, Othorhynolaryngology and bases of Stomatology;
- Catastrophe Medicine and Military Medicine;
- Domestic Medicine and the Faculty of PGE therapy;
- Medical and Pharmaceutical Informatics and Modern Technologies;
- Department of Pediatrics with the course of Child’s Surgery, Anesthesiology and Child’s age Reanymatology
- Technology of Medications;
- Pharmacology with the course of Botany;
- Pharmaceutical Chemistry;
- Management and Economy of Pharmacy, Medical and Pharmaceutical commodity research;
- Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Pharmacotherapy.
73 Professors and Doctors of science, about 299 Associate professors and PhDs, the Academicians of native Academies, Honorary workers of science and engineering, Honorary workers of higher institutions of Ukraine, State prize winners are engaged in pedagogical and scientific-research work at 50 departments of the University. The total number of teachers with scientific degrees is 86, 3%. At many departments their total number is 100%.
A foreigner or a group of foreigners are admitted to the University if they have a special Invitation Letter given by the University authorities through the foreign agents or a firm. The following documents are required for the admission to the University:
1. the invitation of the University;
2. diploma (certificate) of graduating from the Preparatory faculty or from a higher educational institution;
3. Original or legalized copy of documents about education (secondary, higher) certified by the notary with indications of subjects and examination grades on chemistry, physics, biology with notarized translation into Ukrainian or Russian;
4. Birth certificate (legalized copy with notarized translation into Ukrainian or Russian);
5. Legalized medical certificate of absence of medical contraindication for living in Ukraine and studying at the Medical University. It must be given to a student by the official medical institution in his native country no later than two months before the enrollment for studies;
6. Medical certificate of absence of HIV-infection. In case of absence of the certificate a foreigner must be examined for HIV-infection at his own expense in time;
7. 12 photos 3?4;
8. Return ticket with an open date of returning to his native country within one year .
The student campus of Zaporozhye State Medical University is a detached territory protected by a specialized guard for 24 hours. There are 3 academic buildings, 5 hostels, libraries, a sport complex, several canteens and cafes on its territory. Trees, bushes and lawns surrounding the campus, the picturesque banks of the largest river of Ukraine – the Dnieper – promote a favourable climate and conditions for creative studies.
Junior students have their classes at the theoretical departments on the territory of the student campus. Senior students are trained in clinics, which are situated not far from the University.
The student hostels of the University accommodate 2900 persons; two of them are destined for foreign citizens. The hostel buildings are of a modern block type and consist of the rooms for 2-3 persons with all conveniences. There is Internet hall in the hostel for foreign citizens. The students of the hostel are provided with the access to the Internet in their rooms.
Medical obligatory insurance is 100$ US per year.
Annually all students irrespective of their health have compulsory preventive check-ups and examinations and those who need treatment can get it both at the polyclinic and in the best clinics of the city.
The diagnostic complex is represented by a clinical biochemical laboratory, a functional diagnostic division, a room for Endo-scopic examination and X-ray room. The department of physiotherapy and rehabilitation fulfils an important work in the process of treatment. The leading medical specialists of the Regional Hospital provide for the consultative assistance.
All students get a regular complex of preventive inoculations.
There is a medical unit on the territory of the University where students can get a qualified premedical and medical aid in urgent states. Qualified specialists – the University workers – give regular consultations there.
There is a student sanatorium-dispensary in the campus, too. Students can take physiotherapy treatment there.
Teaching is conducted on 29 departments :
Pathological Anatomy and Judicial Medicine with bases right;
Phthisiology and Pulmonology;
General and Operative Surgery with a Topographical Anatomy, and care of patients;
Anesthesiology, Reanymatology and Intensive Therapy;
Faculty Therapy and Oncology;
Urology with the course of Radio-Therapy;
Traumatology, Orthopedics and Neurosurgery;
Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Medicine;
Hospital Pediatrics and Child’s Infectious Diseases;
Nervous Diseases, Psychiatry, Narcology and Medical Psychology;
Ophthalmology, Othorhynolaryngology and bases of Stomatology;
Catastrophe Medicine and Military Medicine;
Domestic Medicine and the Faculty of PGE therapy;
Medical and Pharmaceutical Informatics and Modern Technologies;
Department of Pediatrics with the course of Child’s Surgery, Anesthesiology and Child’s age Reanymatology
Technology of Medications;
Pharmacology with the course of Botany;
Management and Economy of Pharmacy, Medical and Pharmaceutical commodity research;
Clinical Pharmacology, Pharmacy and Pharmacotherapy.