|Welcome to Kharkiv National Medical University Kharkiv, which is a regional center of Ukraine and worthy of its title of a “Ukrainian megalopolis”! This is a giant of the Ukrainian industry, a big educational and cultural centre, the most significant transport nodal point of the Ukrainian state. The city has over 60 research institutes, 170 comprehensive schools, 150 educational centres; the number of higher educational establishments with different patterns of ownership has by now reached 80. Annually, about 20,000 young specialists graduate from higher educational establishments of our city. Kharkiv numbers 49 cultural institutions and centres, which include 5 museums, City Art Gallery, 6 theatres, 3 symphony orchestras.
Kharkiv National Medical University is an integral part of the scientific, intellectual and cultural history of the country, one of the oldest medical establishments of Ukraine, a member of the International Association of Universities. Being founded in 1805, it has acquired invaluable experience in training doctors and is a leader of medical education in the country. Since 1951, university has become one of pioneers in training medical personnel for different countries of the world. During this period our educational establishment has graduated over 7,000 specialists for 120 countries of Asia, Africa, Latin America and Middle East. Graduates of Kharkiv National Medical University work in all parts of the world; they return health, and often even life, to people, therewith creating a good reputation for their alma mater.
Our University will help you to become a high-level specialist and will provide with facilities for your further professional progress and career. We hope that the education, which you will receive at our University, is only the first step on the way of your life achievements, therefore we believe, that our further professional cooperation will be fruitful and long-lasting.
Educational services for foreign citizens
Foreign students of Kharkiv National Medical University study at the 5th Faculty for Training Foreign Students (Russian medium) and at the 6th Faculty for Training Foreign Students (English medium), as well at the Preparatory Department, or undergo postgraduate and clinical postgraduate (residency) courses (Licence of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine AB No. 552643).
The training lasts 1 year.
The Preparatory Department of KhNMU is one of the best in Kharkiv. The training is performed on the basis of the University departments and at its laboratories. This training is given in the Russian language and general subjects, including physics, chemistry and biology, with the purpose of the subsequent study of these students at higher educational establishments of the medical-biological type. During their training at the Preparatory Department of KhNMU its students make the acquaintance of professors and teachers of the University. On finishing the Preparatory Department its students are issued Certificates approved by the Ukrainian Ministry of Education and Science.
Undergraduate medical education
Foreign students are trained in the following specialities:
• “General Medicine”, the period of study is 6 years.
• “Stomatology”, the period of study is 5 years.
Languages of instruction: Russian, Ukrainian, English. Since 1996 the University has been training students in the English medium in General Medicine, and since 2008 in Stomatology. The acade¬mic groups consist of 8-10 persons.
Within the period of studies the students undergo academic training in main medical and dental specialities. They take part in examinations of patients, giving urgent aid, work at X-ray rooms, clinical and biochemical laboratories. Particular attention is paid to clinical rounds of patients, their management, filling in and arrangement of medical reports with their subsequent analysis.
The graduates are awarded a Diploma of Specialist and qualified as Physicians with the title of “Doctor of Medicine” in General Medicine or Stomatologists with the title of “Doctor of Medicine” in Stomatology.
Qualified graduates of higher medical educational insti¬tutions who wish to continue their postgraduate training (in the Russian language) are given the right to undergo:
• a clinical postgraduate course (residency) lasting 2-4 years;
• a postgraduate course with an opportunity to defend a thesis competing for a scientific degree, the term of training is 3 years.
KhNMU has created all conditions for improving the professional level in the specialities acquired. The University departments have modern diagnostic and medical equipment and laboratories for researches. The most popular specialities include Surgery, Ophthalmology, Traumatology and Orthopaedics, Urology, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, etc.
The work of a clinical postgraduate (resident) is carried on in compliance with the individual plan, which is devised and approved under the guidance of the head of a department or its professor, who is responsible for training of this resident, not later than one month after his/her enrolment. The plan envisages study of the basic speciality, a number of related clinical subjects, medical statistics, clinical biochemistry and pharmacology, medical genetics, etc.
Each specialist, who has finished his/her clinical postgraduate course, is awarded a Certificate of Specialized Training in Medicine (Residency) according to international standards and a Transcript to the above Certificate with indication of the numbers of hours in the studied subjects and grades for them. This Certificate gives the right to carry out all works, which are related to the speciality acquired.
In order to enter Ukraine with the purpose of receiving higher education it is necessary to get a student’s visa in the Ukraine’s Embassy. The visa is granted on the basis of an invitation of the Ministry of Education and Science; this invitation is issued by the University in accordance with the established procedure. In order to receive the invitation it is necessary to submit an application and copies of the person’s passport and general certificate of secondary education.
Foreign citizens, who have complete upper secondary education, are admitted to the first year.
Candidates for training in the first year and at the Preparatory Department should submit the following papers:
1. document, which confirms required qualification for studying at higher educational establishments: a general certificate of secondary education plus a transcript of subjects taken and grades awarded (biology, chemistry and physics are compulsory);
2. birth certificate;
3. medical certificate of health confirming ability of training under conditions of the climate in Ukraine and certified by an official health care authority of the country, where a foreigner has come from; the certificate should be issued not later than two months before the person’s arrival in Ukraine for studying;
4. certificate evidencing absence of HIV-infection;
5. insurance policy for giving emergency medical care;
6. 8 colour photos having the size of 3 x 4 cm;
7. return ticket valid for one year with an open date for the applicant’s return to his/her home country.
The documents set forth in paragraphs 1, 2, 3, 4 shall be originals. If these papers are in English, French, German, Arabic or any other language but not Ukrainian or Russian, applicants should submit authorized translations of the documents into Ukrainian or Russian. The documents are to be certified pursuant to the legislation of the country of their origin and legalized pursuant to the established order, unless other ways are provided for by international agreements of Ukraine.
Foreign citizens are admitted to the first year of KhNMU by the Admissions Committee from August 15 to November 1. His/her papers having been checked, the Admissions Committee makes a decision to allow the foreigner to take interviews in biology and the Russian or English language. The knowledge is graded as “sufficient” or “insufficient”.
In accordance with the results of the interviews (provided the entrant’s level of knowledge is graded as “sufficient”) and on the basis of a decision of the Admissions Committee the entrant sets up a contract with the University for training. The student having paid his/her tuition fee, an order about the student’s enrollment to the University is issued.
Documents to a clinical postgraduate course (residency) are received from September 1 to October 20. The following papers are to be submitted:
1. passport (an original and a copy);
2. diploma of higher medical education and a transcript to it, legalized at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine and the Embassy of the graduate’s country in Ukraine;
3. 6 colour photos having the size of 2 x 3 cm;
4. personal staff form (to be filled in personally);
5. curriculum vitae.
A person, who wishes to undergo a clinical postgraduate course (residency), should take a speciality examination in order to assess his/her level of skill and knowledge in this medical occupation and his/her professional level as a medical specialist. The Ministry of health of Ukraine analyses the submitted papers and results of examinations, and after that gives its consent to enrollment.
In order to undergo a postgraduate course, foreigners should, in addition, submit a certificate of finishing a clinical postgraduate course (residency) in the proper speciality.
Accommodation for the foreign students is provided by student hostels rated at 2,422 lodgers. In order to live at a hostel, the students must conclude a proper contract. This accommodation is available for the whole period of training. Hostel fees depend upon the size and comfort of the dwelling space.
The University Scientific-Practical Medical Centre provides medical care of students. The students regularly undergo prophylactic medical and photofluorographic examinations.
The students have meals at 2 canteens for 160 clients and 6 refreshment bars for 80 clients.
The students are provided with facilities for going in for sports. The University has 3 gymnasia (for games, gymnastics and heavy athletics).
With all questions, concerning admission of foreign citizens for training, please contact our International Office.
The Kharkov National Medical University offers post graduate studies in all medical fields. The duration of the study is 2-3 years.
The faculty of postgraduate education offers the study in 50 medical specialties at internship, mastership and clinical internship. At the department of Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU), along with the traditional ways of teaching, there is also a module study, and a through out program of students’ practice. Constantly developing base of computerized equipment gives the possibility to use modern PC know-how and world informative networks in the process of study.
Postgraduates at Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU) are taught in English, Ukrainian and Russian languages according to the programs and curricula approved by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine. We take into consideration and peculiarities of public health services of the state trainees come from.
Institutes and faculties
Departments are merged into 5 faculties: Therapy, Surgery, Pediatrics, Family Medicine, Medical Prophylaxis. Training of foreign students is performed at postgraduate courses, clinical ordinatura, probation courses and preparation department. Foreign students from more than 30 countries are studying at the academy now. Volume of admittance is 450 specialists according to the Licence АВ №585783 and for college it is 30 persons according to the licence АВ № 552226.
Academy has unique conditions for realization of training on the highest level in all the types of postgraduate education. On the 5 faculties of the academy foreign students study at clinical ordinatura, postgraduate courses and probation courses in following specialties: obstetrics and gynecology, anesthesiology, gastroenterology, dermatovenereology, endocrinology, oncology, cardiology, clinical laboratory diagnostics, orthodontics, orthopedic stomatology, orptopedics and traumatology, otolaryngology, ophthalmology, psychotherapy, radiology, preventive dentistry, therapy, urology, surgery, operative dentistry, ultrasound diagnostics and others.
Faculty of Post Graduate Education:
- Dermatology and Venereology
- Infectious Diseases
- Pathological Anatomy
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Child Gynecology
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Pediatric Surgery
- Hygiene of Children and Teenagers
- General Hygiene
- Occupational Hygiene
- Therapeutic Dentistry
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Orthopedic Dentistry
- Surgical Dentistry
The main objective of the postgraduate training is to allow the students of medical institutions to continue their education and general practitioners to improve their skills for further certification and faculty is directed at the training and improvement of qualification and skills of specialists to master not only up-to date medical information but new modern technologies of today and tomorrow.
The Medical faculty of Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU), together with its teaching hospitals and other health organizations in Ukraine and abroad, will provide the necessary physical and human resources to create a scholarly environment appropriate for the training of medical graduates so that they acquire the knowledge, skills and attitudes to become accomplished physicians and surgeons with the highest moral and ethical standards.
The individual form of training is based on qualification characteristics, professional and position requirements, principles of realized perspective and doctor’s pretensions. Detailed theoretical training is combined with learning practical skills, operative technique, and typical and complex operations.
To maintain its international role, the Medical Faculty of Kharkiv National Medical University (KNMU) intends by means of contractual arrangements with foreign countries, universities, and hospitals to train residents from other countries in its postgraduate training programs who will return to their home country upon completion of their training.
Department of International Relations
The department of international relations provides various activities with foreign specialists which are being trained in Academy.
The Academy trains the foreign experts for more than 40 years in clinical ORDINATURA (specialized training in medicine) – term of the course 2-7 years, ASPIRANTURA (postgraduate course) 3-4 years, probation (3 months – 4 years), improvement of qualification (1 month and more).
The department cooperates constantly with Embassies of foreign countries from which are the specialists being trained or who intend to be trained in KhMAPE.
Recently the relations of the Academy with many foreign countries are in progress. The international relations are realized in 2 main aspects:
- Training of the foreign specialists at the departments of KhMAPE;
- International scientific contacts, scientific projects.
At present 120 foreigners are being trained in KhMAPE.
The significant scientific potential, high professionalism, international authority attracts foreigners to the Academy.
The most representatives are from Lebanon , Jordan , Palestine , Morocco , Syria , and India . Totally, they are from 28 countries.
The principal experts of the KhMAPE are invited to participate in international congresses, symposia; every year the scholars read abroad the lectures, reports or are on business trip in the foreign academic centers.
The department of International Relations organizes the admittance of the foreigners to the training courses in KhMAPE, gives legal assistance and visa support, prepares and issues the invitations for the training in KhMAPE.
Our university today
- is a member of the International Association of Universities, registered under UNESCO;
- has 8 Faculties: 1st – Medical, 2nd – Medical, 3rd – Medical, 4th – Medical, Stomatological, 5th and 6th – Medical Faculties for Training Foreign Students; these Faculties graduate doctors with the education-qualification level of a Specialist in such specialities as General Medicine, Paediatrics, Preventive Medicine, Stomatology; the Faculty of Postgraduate Training provides continuous development of doctors’ skills during all their professional activity;
- has 65 Departments, whose faculty numbers 803 specialists in sciences and pedagogy; of them, there are 130 Doctors of Medical Science, Professors and 446 Candidates of Medical Science, Associate Professors;
- trains over 7,000 students, interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates, more than 2,100 of them being foreign citizens from 70 countries of Europe, Asia, Africa and America;
- has the following personnel potential: 5 corresponding members of the National Academy of Medical Sciences of Ukraine, 17 Honoured Workers of Science and Engineering of Ukraine, 2 Honoured Workers of Higher School of Ukraine, 8 winners of State Prize of Ukraine in the fields of science and engineering, 13 Honoured Doctors of Ukraine, 28 members of the State and public Academies of Ukraine;
- is a modern multi-type educational establishment with its powerful scientific, material and technical basis, which includes: 6 education-research-production units; 2 research institutes, such as the Research Institute of Occupational Hygiene and Occupational Diseases of KhNMU and the Ukrainian Institute of Clinical Genetics of KhNMU; the University Stomatological Centre as the medical-educational-scientific unit of KhNMU; the Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of KhNMU; the Ukrainian Scientific-Practical Medical Centre of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductology; the Medical College of KhNMU;
- has 44 clinical Departments, where medical work is done by 497 workers of the University (these consist of 96 Professors, 191 Associate Professors and 210 assistants) and 128 doctors of the University clinics, 73 postgraduates, 48 clinical postgraduates and 32 masters; of them, there are 331 medical workers with the highest category, 68 with the first, and 59 with the second;
- has 5 specialized academic councils for defending Doctor’s and Candidate’s theses; carries out training of doctors and scientists at such stages as interns, masters, clinical postgraduates, postgraduates and doctoral candidates;
- took part in 126 international scientific forums and 340 Ukrainian scientific forums;
- cooperates with 18 foreign institutions;
- participates in the realization of 16 international projects; 65 of its workers are members of 66 foreign scientific and medical organizations;
- has the Central Research Laboratory, 4 problem laboratories, the Educational-Scientific Centre based on classrooms for phantom techniques of education and computerized classrooms, and the Computer Centre;
- has the Scientific Library, whose fund comprises over 1 million copies, and 16 computerized classrooms; more than 550 modern computers, video and audio aids are used in the process of training;
- is the place for active functioning of 18 scientific-pedagogical schools;
- has its students’ self-government, six hostels, with the successful work of the Youth Centre, the complex for physical education and health improvement, and “Medic” sports-health camp;
- was a recipient of the Gold Medal of the International Exhibition “Education and Career – 2010” in the nomination “Development of Students’ Research”.