If you are planning to study in Ukraine, we would like to draw your attention to important details:
1. Admissions criteria
- International students can study at Ukrainian universities based on assessment of their documents about previous education. The required minimum score for admission is set by each university independently.
- Upon arrival the applicant is scheduled an interview by the university selection committee. The interview is to demonstrate the level of student’s knowledge in the selected major. Language proficiency (Ukrainian, Russian and English) is also checked.
- If a student does not speak any of these languages at a minimum required level, a university can offer to enroll in a preparatory department, upon successful completion of which the student can proceed to main studies.
2. Coming to Ukraine to study.
- All international applicants coming to Ukraine with a purpose of studying shall obtain an “Invitation to study” from the university they are applying to. The invitation shall be in the very same form established by the Ministry of Education.
- Students from visa countries and countries with which Ukraine signed an agreement on visa-free period of stay of up 90 days (tourist, private and business travel) shall seek long-term (“education” type D) visa to Ukraine, which allows to stay in Ukraine longer than 90 days.
- Citizens of countries with which Ukraine signed an agreement on visa-free regime (Georgia, Moldova, Belarus, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan,Russia) do not require a visa to Ukraine, but shall provide an original or photocopy of “Invitation to study” when crossing Ukrainian border as an acknowledgment of their purpose of visit to Ukraine.
- To obtain type D visa a prospective student shall submit a list of documents to the consulate of Ukraine in respective country, according to the list of documents indicated on the Embassy’s website. Such a list of documents always includes the original “Invitation to study.” We would like to draw your attention to the fact that the documents on your previous education shall be officially certified before submission to the consulate (legalized (Ministry of Education + Ministry of Foreign Affairs + Embassy of Ukraine in your country) or certified by Apostille stamp + legalized at the Embassy of Ukraine). These documents shall be officially recognized in Ukraine so that a Ukrainian university would be able to issue your diploma certificate upon graduation.
- All “Invitations to study” issued by universities undergo mandatory registration at the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine before being issued to applicants. Our Center performs such registration on behalf of the Ministry and provides official confirmation of such registration (visa support) to the Consulate of Ukraine in respective country. Consulates do not accept documents from international students without such registration and cannot therefore proceed with issuing student visa. Visa support is a paid service with our Center.
3. Crossing the Ukrainian border
- When you have your date of arrival to Ukraine fixed, it is critically important to send a timely notification to your University about the date, time and point (airport) of your arrival and flight number. You can do it yourself or via an agent with whom you cooperate. You are advised to inform your university you need someone to meet you in the airport in case your friends, relatives or acquaintances who are already staying in Ukraine cannot meet you. If your friends or acquaintances are meeting you at the airport, you are advised to inform the University of their contact details as the University sends these details to the border control. During passport control the Border Service can verify whether the persons mentioned in the notification to the University are meeting you. This is intended to ensure your safety in a new country, especially in cases when your university is located in a city different from the airport city in Ukraine.
- During border control procedures you might undergo a detailed interview in order for the officers to make sure you are travelling to Ukraine with the purpose of study and that you are financially supported for the period of your studies. You are advised to be ready for such interview – make sure you know well your university, its location, your place of residence during studies, as well as the major of your studies. A notification letter from your university would be of utmost importance here. If you fail this interview you can be denied access to enter Ukraine.
4. Migration requirements to international students.
- International students during their period of study in Ukraine fall under the requirements of immigration law, observance of which is extremely important!
- All foreigners coming to Ukraine with the purpose of study shall obtain temporary residence permit from the Migration Service and be registered at the place of their actual residence during study period. For citizens of visa countries migration procedures do not exceed 15 days until visa expiration date (visa validity period is 45 days), for citizens of non-visa countries – up to 75 days from the date of crossing the Ukrainian border.
- Migration formalities for international students are usually carried out by international departments of universities. They would typically request you to provide all the necessary documents and offer to issue medical insurance for the period of study.
- A temporary residence permit is the document that certifies the identity of a foreigner or a person without citizenship and confirms the legitimiacy of your stay in Ukraine; it shall be presented during migration and other checks.
- The permit is usually issued for the entire period of your study, however if you study at the preparatory department the period of validity of your permit is only one year. A university may decide to offer you residence for a period of less than a full period of study (eg. the period of study for Bachelor degree is 4 years, but a university can issue you a permit for one year only with further extension).
- When enrolling at the next level of study (Bachelor degree studies after preparatory department or Master’s after Bachelor) or transferring to another university you should be well aware of the residence permit expiry date – the documents for its extension shall be submitted to the Migration Service no later than 15 days before it expires.
- If your temporary residence permit expired and it was not renewed on time, you will need to leave Ukraine and get a new visa to enter to continue your studies.
- In case you are expelled from a university, this high school has to notify the Migration Service of your termination of study within a 10-day period, and return your permit and cancel registration. You will have 7 days to leave the territory of Ukraine after this.
- When transferring to another university be aware of the validity of your temporary residence permit.
- It is important to know that the migration legislation of Ukraine does not allow international students to be employed while studying.
- When selecting an agent company that offers its services in enrollment to Ukrainian universities you are strongly recommended to verify its legitimacy and fulfilment of its obligations to the applicants. To do this, first of all check the list of agents registered at our Center (registered agents). It would also be helpful to talk to your fellow citizens who studied or are studying in Ukraine and are familiar with the services of this company.
- In order to avoid fraud and extortion of extra payments do not send copies of your documents (passports, documents on education) to companies which you do not trust until you make sure that your company issues “Invitation to study” to you at the university you have chosen and all terms (including financial) are fully agreed with you. If you are issued an invitation to another university, the system will not allow registration of an invitation to the university of your choice to be issued unless a previous invitation is cancelled.
- Withdrawal of you passport and temporary residence permit is against the law (except for the period when the university is running your migration procedures).
In any case, our Center is ready to become your reliable and attentive partner in all matters related to education in Ukraine!